Website World Vision Canada
Full Job Description
Are you looking for more than a job? At World Vision Canada we offer challenging careers that change the lives of children all over the world and it will change yours too. Come and be part of a team of 400 Canadians with a vision for the world: Life in all its fullness for every child.
You will experience Christian faith in action helping to make real and lasting change in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children. Join the World Vision Canada team and be part of a powerful and effective force for good:
For Children. For Change. For Life.
Position: Officer, Media Relations
Reports to: Manager, Strategic Communications
Position Term: Full Time Permanent
Primary Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Workplace Type: Remote with travel engagement (within Canada)
If you’re passionate about working with the media and thrive on doing amazing, purposeful work that makes a real and lasting difference in the lives of the world’s most vulnerable children, then you could be the perfect fit to join our collaborative Strategic Communications team. In this role, you’ll help shape how Canadians view World Vision Canada and use your media relations expertise to inspire more people to join us on our mission to do more for more children.
Duties and responsibilities
- Leverage your knowledge of media relations best practices to ideate and develop pitches based on specific campaigns, audiences and issues.
- Pitch stories to digital, broadcast and print media and fully execute secured opportunities
- Cultivate and actively pitch World Vision Canada spokespeople and work closely with teams to identify media opportunities.
- Write and post media releases on worldvision.ca and Canada Newswire.
- Draft and pitch op-eds and quotes.
- Develop media briefs and prepare spokespersons for proactive and reactive media opportunities
- Build relationships with key journalists.
- Monitor and measure the success of earned and organic media coverage against objectives and benchmarks; share results, insights and feedback with strategic communications and spokespersons
- Leverage data and insights to assess earned and organic coverage and to provide recommendations for future pitches.
- Quickly identify opportunities to insert World Vision’s voice into breaking news cycles and/or ideate opportunities with cross-functional teams ahead of key moments.
- Proactively identify reputational risks related to media trends.
- Degree in Communications, Journalism or relevant fields; demonstrated experience in media relations in public sector, corporate, NGO or PR/communications agency.
- Experience cultivating media relationships and securing coverage in various formats including digital, print and television.
- In-depth understanding of news cycles, lead times and story selection, and ability to identify new media trends and opportunities.
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, communication, relationship building and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of international development, Canadian non-profit and fundraising sector a plus.
- Knowledge of Agile terms and methods is a plus.
Skills & Competencies
- Proactive ideation, ability to create media playbooks and see strategic implications for social and digital media as well as executive thought-leadership opportunities.
- Proficiency in Office 365 and MS Teams software; proficiency in media monitoring and posting releases to the newswire.
- Monitor media to flag top issues, track earned and organic coverage and scan for issues/emergencies
- Oversee monthly reporting to ensure all coverage is captured and review organic coverage for pitch ideas and to track brand sentiment.
- Maintain vendor relationships, e.g. media monitoring tools and newswire.
- Strong time management, goal setting and reporting skills.
We bring life-saving support in times of disaster. We help poor communities to take charge of their futures. We provide small loans and training that boost family livelihoods. We work with policy makers to change the way the world is run. Our Christian faith teaches us that every child, regardless of gender, faith or race, is a precious gift to the entire world – and that their wellbeing concerns us all. We shall never rest while children suffer in situations that can be changed.
GTA’s Top 100
Our Core Values: We are committed to the Poor. We are Christian. We are Stewards. We value People. We are Partners. We are Responsive. Qualified candidates must be able to demonstrate a commitment to the core values and mission of the World Vision partnership.
World Vision Canada takes our Safeguarding responsibilities seriously and we provide an environment that is safe for our child and adult beneficiaries. We have strong recruitment procedures to make sure the safest and most suitable people work with the children in our programs. We provide our staff and volunteers with ongoing supervision, support and training in their work with child and adult beneficiaries.
World Vision Canada welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
Thank you for your interest; however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.worldvision.ca.