Website Western University - Faculty of Information & Media Studies
Job ID: 29085
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the “Western Experience” – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Faculty of Information and Media Studies at Western University is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge about media, communications and information. We study technologies, systems, histories and practices to understand the role of media and information in democratic process and the social and cultural determinants of power and agency. Across our programs, we foster two key capacities in our students: the ability to think critically about the world in which we live, and the skill and confidence to make interventions in our communities and lifeworld.
Reporting to the Communications Specialist, the Digital Engagement Coordinator will play a key role in external and internal digital communications at the Faculty of Information and Media Studies (FIMS), with the overall goal of building community engagement, growing our student application and conversion numbers across programs, fostering connections between our current community, FIMS alumni and external partners, and telling the research success stories that will grow the FIMS brand locally, nationally, and internationally. To accomplish these goals the Digital Engagement Coordinator will collaborate with the Communications Specialist, Western Communications and other faculty communications staff across campus, to maximize the value of FIMS’ social media accounts, create Western-branded graphics and multimedia materials for use online, help maintain other FIMS digital resources (e.g. websites and intranets) and provide communications support to facilitate the initiatives of other internal administrative units.
– Undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Graphic Design, or Related Program
– Completion of, or working towards, International Association of Business Communicators Designation is preferred.
– 2 years’ experience in a communications and/or marketing role, successfully managing projects in a dynamic environment
– Experience developing digital and social media communications strategies and content
– Experience with filming, recording, and editing software, and knowledge of best practices in creating visual communications pieces is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
– Advanced skills with e-communication tools, including website and graphic design principles, website and campaign software such as Cascade, WordPress, Campaign Monitor and social media platforms
– Ability to apply creativity and recommend strategies for engagement initiatives in response to cultural and social trends
– Excellent attention to detail and proofreading abilities
– Discretion, tact and maturity to deal with public relations issues related to higher education, including proposing nuanced, sensitive resolutions
– Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
– Demonstrated experience interviewing people, synthesizing complex information, and writing profiles, features, news items and/or web copy (writing samples required)
– Intermediate knowledge of HTML, CSS and web development
– Strong attention to detail, time management skills and ability to prioritize tasks and meet regular deadlines.
– Ability to maintain flexibility in thought, priorities, and task management
– Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, particularly Photoshop, InDesign and Premiere
– Communication skills to engage diverse audiences, with confidence interacting with individuals at all levels of an organization
– Ability to work within a flexible schedule to accommodate the University’s events and activities and travel on occasion
– Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful, and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Application deadline: January 31, 2023
To apply for this job please visit recruit.uwo.ca.