Website Village Media Inc.
TimminsToday (Village Media)
Location: Timmins, Ontario
Posted: September 15, 2022
Village Media is a network of local news and information websites that is rapidly expanding across the country and we are looking for a talented and motivated journalist to fill a full-time position at TimminsToday in Timmins, Ontario.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, curious and a self-starter who knows that breaking news goes beyond fires and collisions. We want someone with excellent news judgment who can find the stories most important to our community on a daily basis, while also digging deep to uncover the news no one else is reporting.
The successful candidate for this position:
- Is interested in covering diversity issues through a civic journalism lens—specifically those issues with a focus on Indigenous, francophone, and local multicultural communities;
- Has demonstrated experience writing breaking news and feature stories on a wide range of community issues, including, crime and justice, education, business, sports, human interest and health;
- Reports quickly, clearly and accurately and is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities and deadlines;
- Has a track record of success in cultivating sources and fostering community contacts and relationships;
- Is not afraid to ask tough questions when required.
- Are compelled to find stories that matter and engage with our communities;
- Are committed to fairness, accuracy and transparency, and have impeccable ethics;
- Have exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Degree or diploma in journalism, or related experience;
- Superior language, writing and editing skills, with a thorough knowledge of CP Style;
- Strong photography and video skills;
- Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends;
- A valid driver’s licence and reliable vehicle;
- Bilingualism and familiarity with the Timmins, Ontario, community will be considered a strong asset.
If this sounds like the perfect fit for you, please apply! We want a cover letter and resume, stating you found this job on Jeff Gaulin’s Journalism Board, along with relevant samples of your work. Applications must be submitted through the Village Media Portal.
About Village Media
Village Media is where local news lives—and thrives. An ever-expanding network of community journalism websites, we cover the stories that matter most: the ones right in our backyards. A champion of hyperlocal news and information, Village Media publishes its articles on an innovative and scalable content management system (CMS) developed in-house. Born digital, our leading-edge company is a pioneer in its industry, continuously expanding its reach and changing the landscape of online news.
Village Media is committed to advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion among our staff, volunteers, programs, and partners. We encourage applicants of diverse abilities, backgrounds, and life experiences to apply. If you require accommodations during the selection process, please contact email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit easyapply.co.