Website Vancouver Premier College
Librarian Richmond , BC
Vancouver Premier College is currently seeking a part-time Librarian to join our team! We’re looking for an energetic, forward-thinking, creative individual to oversee our Learning Resource Center to develop and implement learning initiatives aimed at improving student academic success and retention.
Reporting to the Director of Operations and Registrar, the Librarian will support the mission and strategic goals of Vancouver Premier College by establishing strong collaborative relationships with faculty and students in assigned departments and connecting them to the services, content, and tools that meet their research, teaching, and learning needs. The Librarian will build and curate collections in all formats and develop a program of extensive outreach, instruction and consultation. In response to rapid changes in research practices, the Librarian will develop and deliver responsive and innovative research support and information services to all students. The Librarian will collaborate with Faculty and Management and engages with all users on scholarly communication initiatives at VPC.
Responsibilities will include:
- To build and develop both a virtual library and a physical library;
- To assist in becoming a member of the BC Electronic Library Network (BCELN);
- Oversee the library to ensure cleanliness, order, and protection of the library’s resources;
- Explain use of library facilities, resources, equipment, and services, and provide information about library policies;
- Teach students, faculty and staff how to search for information using databases;
- Actively seek opportunities to provide customized reference and research support services in the Learning Resource Center which will include:
- Providing consultations that involve subject or other specialized areas of expertise and offers classes, consultations, orientations, online tutorials, and tours in support of new students;
- Answering referred questions in all formats (chat, email, phone, desk/in-person) and individual or group consultations and recommends, develops and coordinates scalable library programs related to student engagement, academic success and orientation for new students;
- Develops and coordinates library initiatives aimed at improving student academic success;
- Assisting students in applying knowledge of how research is conducted in certain disciplines.
- Assist with collection and information resource development in the assigned discipline areas;
- Code, classify, and catalog books, publications, films, audiovisual aids, and other library materials based on subject matter or standard library classification systems;
- Organize collections of books, publications, documents, audiovisual aids, and other reference materials for convenient access;
- Compile lists of books, periodicals, articles, and audiovisual materials on particular subjects;
- Design information storage and retrieval systems, and develop procedures for collecting, organizing, interpreting, and classifying information;
- Develop information access aids such as indexes and annotated bibliographies, web pages, electronic pathfinders, and on-line tutorials;
- Teach patrons how to use the electronic database and its functions;
- Actively engage with students and staff in assigned areas to develop strong working relationships to proactively promote and market library programs, services, resources and Initiatives;
- Research and implement new information system techniques;
- Check books and other materials in and out of the library;
- Compile lists of overdue materials, and notify borrowers that their materials are overdue;
- Must be willing to travel between the Vancouver and Richmond campuses;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have an MILS degree;
- Minimum of two years of professional experience;
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish positive and productive collaborations with students, staff and faculty;
- Evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and as part of an interdisciplinary team member in a dynamic environment and on a variety of simultaneous projects;
- Legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Knowledge of and/or experience in business and/or general sciences librarianship;
- Familiarity with qualitative or quantitative data, knowledge synthesis and translation, manipulation of datasets and experience teaching data sources to researchers, faculty and students;
- Knowledge of statistical software and financial resources;
- Familiarity with current issues and trends in library technology and information resources;
- Experience in conducting library instruction or teaching in an academic environment;
- Demonstrated commitment to user instruction and to consultation with users on their information decision and strategy needs.
How to apply:
If you’re interested in applying for the position of Librarian, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the high number of applicants we may receive, only candidates who meet the required criteria will be contacted. We thank you for your interest in joining VPC.
Compensation: $26.00 to $35.00 per hour
Vancouver Premier College
Richmond , BC
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.