Website University of Nevada, Reno
Clinical and Instruction Librarian
We are excited to announce a newly created position at the Savitt Medical Library. Are you looking for a change or a new start? Consider applying to join our small team of friendly librarians and staff! The Savitt Medical Library at the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med) seeks a service-oriented individual to fill the position of Clinical and Instruction Librarian (Librarian 2, Assistant Professor, non-tenure-track). This is a new position that will report to the Head Clinical Librarian for the Savitt Medical Library.
The Clinical and Instruction Librarian will spend a portion of their time at our three satellite libraries, two within the Renown Regional Medical Center and one at our Moana Clinical Location; all sites are located in Reno. Key responsibilities at these locations will include: filling time-sensitive requests from clinicians; providing individual and small group instruction; and collection development activities.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, initiate and manage projects from start to finish, partner with diverse stakeholder groups across user communities with a service mindset, and drive the missions of UNR Med in alignment with our core values.
Through a combination of education and experience in instruction, research services, and literature searching, the successful candidate will:
· Develop and provide instructional sessions within the medical school curriculum addressing biomedical literature searching within the evidence-based process, determining credibility of information found, effective and ethical use of information, and management of information using tools such as EndNote.
· Participate in assessment of students’ work during case presentation and journal club assignments, evaluating their search strategies and information sources.
· Provide research consultation service and instruction to Savitt Medical Library users including those in a clinic setting.
· Promote information services, instruction, and outreach to clinical departments.
· Create online tutorials and self-directed learning modules to support the teaching of information management skills for students, residents, and faculty.
· Interact effectively with faculty, staff, and students at all levels of the organization.
· ALA accredited MLS/MLIS degree.
· Excellent oral and written communication as well as listening and problem-solving skills.
· Knowledge of health and life sciences databases such as PubMed, Embase, and DynaMed.
· Familiarity with the research process in health and life sciences including knowledge of research methods and study designs.
· Understanding of the evidence-based process within health sciences fields.
· Demonstrated initiative and self-direction. Ability to work independently and as a collaborative team member.
· Experience in a health sciences library setting or academic library setting.
· Experience providing instructional services including the development and delivery of both in-person and online classes.
· Knowledge of the systematic review process and searching requirements.
· Experience with various technologies, tools and software used in academic settings such as Learning management systems (i.e., Canvas) and tutorial creation tools, such as Adobe Captivate or Camtasia.
Candidates who are interested in this position, but who may not meet all preferred qualifications, please consider applying. If selected for the position, we will:
· Provide you with training to support your development and comfort in this new role.
· Provide professional development through travel to national and regional meetings.
· Welcome and support you as a member of our team.
This is a full-time, 12-month, non-tenure/non-tenure-track academic faculty appointment. Although not a tenure-track position, it is expected that this librarian will be engaged in the profession through memberships, conference attendance, and presentations.
Academic Faculty – Assistant Professor
$66,015 – $78,000 annually
The total compensation package includes a negotiable competitive salary, moving allowance (if applicable), a generous retirement plan, health insurance options that include dental and vision, life insurance, long-term disability, annual and sick leave along with many other benefits. Additionally, there is tuition assistance available for faculty and dependents. For more information, please visit: https://www.unr.edu/hr/benefits
First Consideration Date
Please submit your complete application, including all required attachments and completion of the above-linked survey, by December 15, 2023, for first consideration.
Posting Close Date: 01/15/2024
For more information on the University and the School of Medicine, please visit https://med.unr.edu/
For more information about Savitt Medical Library, please visit
To apply for this position, please go to: https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UNR-external/job/Medicine-Reno—University-of-Nevada-School-of-Medicine/Librarian-II_R0135441
About the Savitt Medical Library
The Savitt Medical Library supports the education, research, and patient care mission of the University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine. We provide a variety of library services to our students, residents, fellows, and faculty in Medicine, Physician Assistant program, Speech Pathology and Audiology, Orvis School of Nursing, and the Sanford Center for Aging.
About UNR Med
The University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine (UNR Med) was established in 1969. UNR Med is a research-intensive, community-based medical school with campuses in Northern Nevada’s metropolitan and rural areas. Our core values:
- People are our strength
- We innovate and improve
- We serve with integrity
- We succeed with trust and respect
Reno is located in Northern Nevada near the Nevada-California border, about 40 miles from Lake Tahoe. Situated in the High Eastern Sierra foothills, on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the region supports a range of diverse outdoor activities year-round. The cuisine and cultural crossroads available support rich and vibrant communities that are attracting people from across the nation and internationally.
To apply for this job please visit nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.