Website Thompson Rivers University
Systems Librarian Kamloops , BC
The Thompson Rivers University Library is seeking a detail-oriented and thoughtful Systems Librarian to backfill a sabbatical leave. This limited term contract (full-time 1-year position) requires that the librarian be a strong presence in the TRU Library and campus community, stepping in to maintain relationships with TRU Information Technology Services (TRU ITS) and vendors in order to keep the library’s systems operating smoothly. The successful candidate will work with clients to troubleshoot software issues, report problems to vendors or TRU ITS, and maintain the library’s integrated library system. (SirsiDynix Symphony). This person will ensure that TRU’s electronic resources are discoverable by updating the EBSCO Electronic Discovery Service and ensuring that our holdings in OCLC are up to date. This person may also be required to troubleshoot problems with the OCLC Relais interlibrary loan system
While not expected to develop new directions for this work or new initiatives, the successful candidate will maintain ongoing systems, and provide oversight and guidance to systems team members and to staff in relation to library desktop software or hardware inquiries.
The successful candidate will join a committed team of library professionals in a newly-renovated building and will be expected to be a full participant, along with the rest of the library team, in defining and achieving library goals. As a faculty member, the candidate will actively pursue professional and service activities. Remote work may be a possibility for an exceptional candidate.
- Work with and troubleshoot SirsiDynix Symphony, OCLC Relais Interlibrary Loan software, and other library systems as required.
- Report systems problems to vendors, including SirsiDynix, EBSCO, and OCLC; work with vendors on solving problems.
- Load patron information from the Banner ERP system into Symphony.
- Oversee desktop software and hardware inquiries within the library; assist with training, oversight, and guidance of any staff or student employees assigned to support this work.
- Ensure Symphony reports are run for multiple library functional areas.
- Ensure self-check machines are operational.
- Liaise with Information Technology Services with respect to the library’s servers and desktop computers.
- Communicate with vendors about any changes that may impact library services.
- Communicate systems changes to librarian colleagues and library staff, providing demonstrations at meetings or training sessions as required.
- Maintain an awareness of critical concerns in the field; continue professional growth and development to enhance skills and knowledge.
- Participate in library-wide planning and projects through service on committees and special projects.
- Participate in the development of library policies, planning, and strategic initiatives; participate in library faculty governance.
- Collaborate with liaison librarians to support interdisciplinary research, scholarship, and collections.
- Serve on relevant department, library, and University committees as appropriate.
Position type and Salary:
- Limited term contract (12 months, full time), starting September 2022
- Excellent benefits, including 40 days of vacation time and $2000 in Professional Development funds
- Salary range $64 375 – $77 059, depending on experience; please refer to section 11.5 of the Collective Agreement for salary scale placement details
- Master’s Degree in Library Science/Information Science from an American Library Association accredited program, or equivalent, conferred prior to appointment.
- Thorough understanding of and demonstrated experience with MARC records and data description.
- Demonstrated excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Experience configuring and or maintaining an integrated library system
- Ability to problem-solve ILS client software problems and other software, hardware, and e-resource issues
- Experience updating OCLC holdings
- Supervisory or team leadership experience
- Experience updating a web discovery service
- Experience with Linux shell scripts
According to TRUFA Salary Schedule
Location: Kamloops, BC CA (Primary)
# of Hires Needed: 1
Thompson Rivers University -> University Library -> University Library
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment:
Thompson Rivers University is strongly committed to hiring based on merit with a focus on fostering diversity of thought within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, our faculty and its scholarship including, but not limited to, women, Indigenous, Black and People of Colour, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, however applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
Compensation: $64,375 – $77,059
Closes: 19 September, 2022
Thompson Rivers University
Kamloops , BC
To apply for this job please visit tru.hua.hrsmart.com.