Website The Royal Conservatory of Music
Library Services Manager Toronto , ON
The Royal Conservatory (RCM) is one of the largest and most respected music education institutions in the world, providing the definitive standard of excellence in curriculum design, assessment, performance training, and teacher certification. It is also a leader in the development of early childhood education programs and arts-based social programs, and presents a diverse range of concerts featuring the finest Canadian and international artists in its magnificent performance space, Koerner Hall. Please visit www.rcmusic.com for more information.
What is the Opportunity?
The Library Services Manager oversees and evaluates a range of library services for the entire organization, including the Glenn Gould School, the Phil and Eli Taylor Academy for Young Artists, and the Oscar Peterson School.
Responsibilities include reference services, collection development, technical services, circulation, technology applications, managing an instrument bank, and assessment of student and faculty needs. This position also establishes appropriate budgetary and service priorities, resource requirements, and supervises library staff and student assistants.
Main Duties & Responsibilities
There are seven (7) primary areas of responsibility to consider, detailed as follows:
Collection Development and Analysis
- Acquires print and digital resources in accordance with the library’s collection development policy.
- Conducts collection assessments to measure usage patterns, determine withdrawals and replacements, and develop effective cataloguing and acquisition strategies.
- Prints and binds scores and parts for the Performance Collection and produces replacement or preservation copies of music in the collection.
- Maintains subscription access to the library’s suite of electronic resources and monitors usage.
- Liaises with faculty, students, and staff to ensure that library collections and services are meeting their needs.
- Manages the library’s orchestral music collection and purchases, rents, prepares, and distributes orchestral material for the school’s performing ensembles.
- Receives and reviews rental requests from Canadian community orchestras for Performance Collection music in conjunction with the Library Services Assistant.
Technology & Media Production
- Catalogues and processes new and backlogged print music material within an AACR2r/MARC21 environment using Koha Integrated Library System.
- Regularly edits the Rupert Edwards Library website.
Music Instrument Bank
- Maintains instrument bank files, records, loans, etc.
- Facilitates instrument donations and appraisals in collaboration with the Development department.
- Works with the Director of Facilities to secure insurance coverage.
- Monitors instrument returns as required.
- Oversees the work of library staff (1 full-time, 5-6 part-time student work placements).
- Assists users with simple and complex information needs through reference interviews.
- Provides formal and informal instruction in the use of library resources, research methodologies, copyright issues, and proper citation style to RCM students and faculty.
- Processes library donations in collaboration with the Development department.
- Performing other duties as required.
What We’re Looking For
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science, or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program.
- Music education, preferably post-secondary work at the undergraduate or graduate level.
- Experience with original and copy cataloguing using AACR2, MARC, LCC, and LCSH.
- Experience with creating, importing, and managing LC Authorities (Z39.50).
- Experience developing web content and instructional material.
- Experience providing reference and instruction in information literacy.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- The position requires a high degree of technological literacy. Any exposure to the following is considered a significant asset: library automation software, relevant databasing applications, SQL querying, Koha Integrated Library System, EZProxy.
Knowledge of Canadian copyright, public domain, and fair dealing as they pertain to the use and distribution of print and online music content considered an asset.
- Passion for curating collections of works by composers from underrepresented groups.
- Reading knowledge of European languages, such as French, German, Italian or Russian is also an asset.
This position requires occasional work on evenings and Saturdays.
This position supervises 6-7 direct reports.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are asked to submit a current résumé online at www.rcmusic.com/about-us/careers-royal-conservator…. Applications will be accepted until a suitable candidate has been identified.
The RCM is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005, and the RCM’s Anti-Racism, Access and Equity Policy, accommodation will be provided at any stage of in the recruitment and selection process. Applicants are asked to make their accommodation needs known when they have been contacted for an interview.
The RCM would like to thank all applicants for their interest in this position; however, only those selected for next steps will be contacted.
Compensation: $58,000-$60,000 per annum
Closes: 9 June, 2023
The Royal Conservatory of Music
Toronto , ON
To apply for this job please visit www.rcmusic.com.