Website Powell River Public Library
Assistant Chief Librarian Powell River , BC
Setting: Powell River is located on British Columbia’s beautiful Sunshine Coast within the traditional territory of the Tla’amin Nation. Join the team in the new library, a facility that has fast become one of the most popular public spaces in the community. PRPL serves the 20,000 residents of the City of Powell River, the qathet Regional District and the Tla’amin Nation.
The Assistant Chief Librarian is a full-time management position playing a key leadership role in the delivery of library services. They are responsible for maintaining dynamic collections and overseeing the delivery of programming that develops literacy skills, inspires creativity and encourages life-long learning. This position is active in the community and works to create meaningful connections to the library.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- A master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution;
- Two years of work experience in a library setting;
- Two years of experience in a management or supervisory role in a unionized setting;
- Demonstrated ability to lead, direct and motivate staff;
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in collection development and library services;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with staff and external partners;
- Excellent communication, conflict resolution and public relations skills to deal tactfully with the public and staff;
- A high level of flexibility, self-motivation and ingenuity;
- The ability to manage a variety of projects at once;
- Enthusiasm, sense of humour, ability to work well with colleagues and the public and strong service ethic;
- Knowledge of computer software and hardware applicable to the job (Microsoft Office, Outlook, Adobe, WordPress, SD Symphony);
- A clear criminal record check and proof of job credentials required.
- Accomplish goals for service and program delivery through planning, direction and supervision of the Coordinators responsible for programming;
- Collection development including all functions of selection, acquisition and assessment of print and digital collections. Includes negotiating contracts with vendors and managing budgets;
- As a part of the leadership team, collaborate on long-term planning, provide input on policies and procedures, administrative tasks as required;
- Representing the Library at community events, on committees and in ongoing partnerships;
- Promotion of Library programs and services to the public, including overseeing website, social media and advertising;
- Training staff as needed, specific responsibility for health and safety orientations, participates in hiring process as required;
- Manages other ongoing projects as required;
- Performing all the duties of the Chief Librarian in their absence.
Reporting to: Chief Librarian
To start: June 2023, located in Powell River.
Wages and benefits for this position are commensurate with responsibilities.
Please send cover letter and resume by 5 pm, Friday, April 7, 2023 to the Chief Librarian, Rebecca Burbank at email@example.com.
The library thanks all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Compensation: Starting salary range between $72,000 and $80,000
Closes: 7 April, 2023
Powell River Public library
Powell River , BC
To apply for this job please visit prpl.ca.