Website Pickering Public Library
Are you passionate about serving and empowering the community? Do you value building positive experiences for library clients? Do you strive to be part of a team that creates belonging and inclusion within the library? Then this role is for you!
Libraries are about people. Serving our community is at the heart of what we do. Pickering Public Library has a permanent job opening for a full-time Client Experience Specialist – Collections.
The successful incumbent ensures the effective provision and functional leadership of the Library’s collections. Under the direction of the Assistant Manager, Collections, the incumbent selects and curates library resources to meet the information, recreation and learning, and unique needs of the community in support of Intellectual Freedom and the Board’s Ends.
This role delivers direct client services, on an as needed basis, by providing advisory and in- depth research for the community and is responsible for leading collections-related projects. Responsible for leading the day-to-day creation of high-quality client experiences and maintains a positive and safe environment through regular communication. Mentors staff in alignment with library goals and values as a respected functional leader and role model within a learning organization.
Salary: $39.59 per hour
Hours: 35 hours per week
The successful applicant:
- Performs various collection management tasks including the selection of materials for purchase, promotion of collections (inside and outside of the library), and weeding.
- Reviews collections for relevance and scope in keeping with the evolving needs of the community. Ensures that all collection activities follow Intellectual Freedom values and goals.
- Provides direct in-house services to clients based on scheduled public service team needs any day of the week.
- Evaluates collection use to determine trends and patterns.
- Analyzes statistics and reports.
- Makes recommendations to management to ensure collection policies and development guidelines allow for evolution and equitable use of the collections in support of the Board’s Ends.
- Analyzes current collection and selects new collection materials and resources that represent the range of identities, languages, experiences, and cultures in Pickering.
- Liaises with members of the public and library staff to gather collection recommendations and to effectively position collections within the suite of services offered by the library.
- Promotes library services to the community (both in person and digitally).
- Develops and delivers relevant training for library staff.
- Advises and assists library users in the selection and use of PPL’s collections and services.
- May be assigned to be responsible for the safe operation of a Library facility when acting as In-charge staff. May provide instructions and information to other staff.
- Stays current with developments and emerging trends within the field and the community as it applies to enhancement of services in support of the library as a learning organization.
- Demonstrates and maintains the required level of technical proficiency.
- Other duties consistent with job responsibilities.
Applicants must have:
- Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science preferred or a combination of equivalent experience and education.
- Experience with collections development including small publishers, diverse publishersand/or curating dynamic online collections.
- 6 months relevant leadership experience in a library.
- Extensive experience in digital information databases.
The successful applicant will be scheduled to work varying shifts including days, evenings, and weekends. The applicant may be scheduled at any location within the library system. Hybrid work arrangement possible in accordance with the Library’s Telework Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check is required for most jobs at the Library. Please note that job offers will only be made upon successful completion of all background checks.
Qualified candidates may submit a detailed cover letter and resume no later than 12 noon (Eastern Standard Time) on Friday September 29, 2023 to:
Human Resources Associate By Email: email@example.com
Human Resources Department By Fax: 905.420.4638
One The Esplanade, Pickering, ONL1V 6K7
Alternate formats available upon request. Please contact Human Resources.
Compensation: $39.59 – $43.99 per hour
Closes: 29 September, 2023
Pickering Public Library
Pickering , ON
To apply for this job please visit pickeringlibrary.ca.