Website Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Leading Business Law Firm since 1862
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and business professionals have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
The Business Intake & Compliance Analyst provides an efficient and seamless business intake process for opening new matters. Responsible for conducting business research and database content analysis to provide information to legal professionals so that they can confirm that the acceptance of new business does not negatively affect the interests of current or past clients and it does not affect the Firm’s ability to impartially represent current, former, and new clients.
Responsible for the Firm’s new business intake, including matter openings, client matter amendments and conducting conflict of interest searches for the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and New York offices. This is a detail-oriented position with focus on time management skills, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Conduct conflict of interest searches according to the Firm’s procedures
- Search multiple databases to identify potential conflicts of interest using established procedures and adhere to flag lists and special instructions
- Prepare timely, accurate and succinct conflict reports by reviewing, retrieving and summarizing relevant information from multiple databases
- Review and resolve data to ensure content integrity
Send search results to the legal professional for matter opening decision
- Open new client matters in accordance with the Firm’s procedures
- Receiving and reviewing requests for matter openings
- Functions in a quality control role to ensure accuracy of information submitted. Revise incorrect information as required
- Review requisition forms for amendments
- Responsible for providing accurate conflicts-related information based on information from multiple databases
Maintain Firm’s client management system and update related information. Monitors the system for irregularities or inefficiencies. Reviews the system for stalled requests, assists users with delegating requests, troubleshoots and corrects user errors and reports system issues.
- Educate and provide guidance to Firm members regarding the policies and procedures of new business intake and conflict management
- Follow procedures and policies governing the Firm’s matter opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities
- Perform related administrative, clerical, technical and other duties as required
- Identify and/or participate in the evaluation of tools to enhance best practices and test new products and software
Education and Experience
University degree or College diploma in Information Management, Library Science, Information Science or Library & Information Technology plus three years experience in a legal environment or professional services firm. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Legal industry experience is an asset. Bilingualism is an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate advanced research, investigative and problem-solving skills, think strategically, with the ability to gather and analyze information, exercise sound judgement to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data
- Strive for continuous improvement, flexible approach, promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; highly motivated and results driven
Comfortable working independently with an ability to exercise judgment regarding when to elevate issues
- Advanced time management and organizational skills adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; works to meet department and Firm objectives
- Excellent communication; Speaks clearly and persuasively; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions. Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Strong presentation skills
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups
- Strong interest in technology and strong computer literacy; experience with MSOffice, new business intake applications, accounting software and database applications; experience in technical troubleshooting
- Maintains professionalism and maintains absolute confidentiality of Firm and client information
For the safety of firm members and visitors, Osler is committed to complying with the recommendations of public health authorities. Employment at Osler is therefore conditional on complying with any vaccination policies that Osler may adopt from time to time in response to the recommendations of public health authorities
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, which includes a requirement to work partially in the office.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.ca.