Website Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP
Osler, Hoskin & Harcourt LLP is one of Canada’s leading business law firms. Advising many of Canada’s corporate leaders, as well as U.S. and international parties with extensive interest in Canada, our more than 1,000 firm members are based in offices in Toronto, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Calgary and New York.
Osler prides itself on attracting and maintaining some of the brightest talent in the legal arena. Our lawyers, students, management and business professionals have created a unique firm culture which nurtures mentoring and the exchange of ideas. Osler is a dynamic and exciting place to begin a career or carve out a new path.
The Business Intake & Compliance Specialist provides an efficient and seamless business intake process for opening new matters. Responsible for conducting business research and database content analysis to provide information to legal professionals so that they can confirm that the acceptance of new business does not negatively affect the interests of current or past clients and it does not affect the Firm’s ability to impartially represent current, former, and new clients. Responsible for the Firm’s new business intake, including matter openings, client matter amendments and conducting conflict of interest searches for the Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Calgary, Vancouver and New York offices. This is a detail-oriented position with focus on time management skills, and ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintain Firm’s client management system and update related client and matter information
- Provide administrative support by monitoring Department’s centralized mailbox and phone system, updating departmental forms, templates and confidential matter and flag lists
- Maintain and update Firm’s Restricted Trading system
- Prepare conflict search documentation, exemption forms, compiling reports, electronic filing in Department workspace
- Maintain and update the critical dates system
- Provide back-up support to Team including conducting conflict of interest searches and opening new matters
- Educate and provide guidance to Firm members regarding the policies and procedures of new business intake and conflict management
- Follow procedures and policies governing the Firm’s matter opening and conflict management activities and responsibilities
- Assist with special projects; perform other related duties as assigned
- Perform additional administrative, clerical and other duties as required
Risk Management Support
Provide back-up support in administering the Firm’s risk management processes, systems and activities, including processes for lateral hires and securing client content (e.g. ethical walls) for all offices
Education and Experience
University degree or College diploma in Information Management, Library Science, Information Science or Library & Information Technology plus three years of business office experience in a customer service role and/or research. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be accepted. Legal industry experience and bilingualism are assets.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrate advanced research, investigative and problem-solving skills, think strategically, with the ability to gather and analyze information, exercise sound judgement to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Experience in database searching and interpreting data
Strive for continuous improvement, flexible approach, promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; strong attention to detail; highly motivated and results driven
- Comfortable working independently with an ability to exercise judgment regarding when to elevate issues
- Advanced time management and organizational skills adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment; works to meet Department and Firm objectives
- Excellent communication; speaks clearly and persuasively; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; strong presentation skills
- Exceptional negotiation and teamwork skills to interact/collaborate with various groups
- Strong interest in technology and strong computer literacy; experience with MSOffice, new business intake applications, accounting software and database applications; experience in technical troubleshooting
- Maintains professionalism and maintains absolute confidentiality of Firm and client information
For the safety of firm members and visitors, Osler is committed to complying with the recommendations of public health authorities, including with respect to adopting mandatory vaccination policies. Employment at Osler is therefore conditional on complying with any vaccination policies that Osler may adopt from time to time in response to the recommendations of public health authorities
We are currently working in a hybrid work arrangement, which includes a requirement to work partially in the office.
Accessibility and Accommodation
We thank all applicants for their interest in Osler; however, only chosen applicants will be contacted. Osler is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive work environment, and we welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities and people with diverse backgrounds, identities, and cultures. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates in all phases of the selection process.
Background and Reference Checks
Please note that any offer of employment will be conditional upon background and reference checks, including a criminal record check, credit check, and employment and educational verifications.
If you have the required background with the ability to provide exceptional customer service and wish to work in one of Canada’s leading law firms, please reply in confidence with a cover letter and résumé by the closing date.
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.ca.