Website Oakville Public Library
Director, Customer Experience Oakville , ON
Employment Status: Permanent Full-time (Non-Union)
Primary Location: Central Branch
Alternate Locations: This role will be required to travel to all site locations. As well, this role will have the opportunity to work from home (WFH) based on operational requirements.
Salary: Starting at $141,497
Hours: 35 hours per week which consists of regular business hours with occasional evenings and/or weekend shifts.
Oakville is a vibrant community within the Greater Toronto Area, the Town of Oakville is a thriving lakeside municipality of approximately 225,000 residents. Situated on the sacred lands of Treaties 14 and 22 within the Territory of the Mississaugas of the Credit, Oakville is rich in the history and modern traditions of many First Nations. Oakville is one of four lower tier municipalities in Halton Region, providing all the advantages of a well-serviced urban centre, while maintaining its small-town ambiance.
Oakville Public Library (OPL) is a highly respected and innovative library system that ranked as 1 of the top 3 services in the 2022 Citizen survey. The OPL board is committed to providing exceptional customer experiences to all Oakville residents and has approved the 2022-2024 Strategic Plan with the mission that we bring together people, information and ideas to enrich lives and build healthy communities. The Customer Experience team plays an integral part in meeting the mission through branch operations, alternative services, collaborative partnerships, and innovative programming.
The role of Director, Customer Experience will have the opportunity to participate in these exciting initiatives:
• Creation of the Parks, Recreation and Library Facilities Master plan
• Building of our permanent Sixteen Mile branch
• Implementation of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Strategic Framework
• Future renovation of Woodside Branch
What you’ll do
The Director, Customer Experience is a key operational leader responsible for guiding the strategies and delivery of services, programs, outreach and access to spaces for customers. The Director, Customer Experience is diplomatic, collaborative and committed to supporting an environment of accountability, respect, inclusion and belonging for customer and staff.
Reporting to the CEO, the Director, Customer Experience will be responsible for the operation of seven (7) branches, alternative services, and programming.
As Director, Customer Experience you will:
• Be responsible for visioning, development, execution and evaluation of customer experiences which align with OPL”s strategic plan, vision, mission and values.
• Lead staff in designing, refining and implementing relevant, responsive, equitable and transformational library services and infrastructure that enables the library to grow and fulfill its strategic plan.
• Champion inclusion and belonging: As a member of the executive leadership team, you are responsible for applying an inclusion, equity-driven lens that contributes to Oakville Public library being a welcoming library for our community and an inclusive organization for our staff, volunteers and stakeholders.
• Work collaboratively with the executive management team in decision making, strategic planning, and goal setting.
• Lead, recruit, develop and retain an effective, service- focused and results oriented management team.
• Execute major organization and strategic projects and champion projects managed by direct reports. This includes leadership and participation in new and redesigned facilities projects.
• Analyze metrics and make recommendations to support evidence-based decision making.
• Collaborate with partners and stakeholders: You will develop strategic partnerships with community organizations and municipal stakeholders that nurture resilient communities and amplify connections.
• Foster a customer service focused learning organization with excellent change management, facilitation and collaborative team building skills.
• Comply with the provisions of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Act, other relevant health and safety legislation, and the OPL’s Health and Safety Program
• Perform other duties as assigned
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for someone who can:
• Successfully build, coach and mentor diverse teams and individuals
• Demonstrate leadership skills including the ability to influence behaviors and decision making in a supportive and constructive manner
• Collaborate and build strong relationships with both internal and external stakeholders
• Effectively analyze and solve problems
• Lead and organize multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
• Manage and advocate for programs and services that advance the library’s mission
• Influence others in a positive way, generating buy-in and enthusiasm for organizational mission and vision
• Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences and individuals from diverse backgrounds
• A passion for customer service
• Demonstrate solid communication skills utilizing effective listening skills and a logical, systematic approach to assimilating and sharing information
• Be a creative thinker that has the ability to bring new ideas to the table
• Work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
Your experience and educational background
• Master’s in Library and Information Science (MLIS)
• Minimum of seven (7) years of public library experience through progressive roles
• Project management experience is an asset
• Experience managing in a unionized environment
• Experience in policy development
• Experience establishing and managing large and complex operating and capital budgets.
• Experience with facilities and construction planning and development.
• Experience working with external and internal stakeholders to develop partnerships
• Exceptional communication abilities including written, verbal and presentation skills.
• Experience in developing strong relationships based on trust and mutual respect
What’s it like to work at Oakville Public Library?
It is challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, we commit to providing access to tangible resources and programs that inspire, encourage, and provoke thought for the residents of Oakville.
Applications will be accepted on-line at www.opl.on.ca in the current opportunities section no later than midnight on September 28, 2022.
The Oakville Public Library is an equal opportunity employer and is pleased to accommodate individual needs in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA) within our recruitment process upon request. If you require accommodation at any time throughout the recruitment process please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The successful candidate will be required to submit proof of full vaccination in accordance with the OPL’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy and Procedure. Accommodation requests for new hires that are unable to get vaccinated against COVID-19 for reasons protected under the Ontario Human Rights Code must be made in writing to the Human Resources department.
A Security Clearance Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening will be required for all employees and volunteers of the Oakville Public Library. Successful applicants must submit the Security Checks (dated within the last six months) prior to or on the first day of employment.
The Oakville Public Library endeavours to provide a safe environment for all its employees. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Compensation: Starting at $141,497
Closes: 28 September, 2022
Oakville Public Library
Oakville , ON
To apply for this job please visit tre.tbe.taleo.net.