Website Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT)
In order to ensure your application is received by NAIT for thorough review and consideration, please apply directly through our Careers site at www.nait.ca/careers
Are you a creative thinker with a passion for crafting compelling messaging and providing innovative communication solutions? We’re looking for a Communication Specialist to join our team to provide strategic communication support to our internal clients and help them achieve their goals.
As a key member of the internal communication team within the department of Marketing and Communications, the Communication Specialist works to develop and implement tactical communication support across our portfolios and in collaboration with the Communication Strategists. Reporting to the Internal Communication Manager, the Communication Specialist will provide timely and thoughtful strategic communication support to execute a wide range of diverse projects and initiatives. You will also develop and implement your own communication plans that help achieve institutional objectives, including providing communication support to NAIT’s Emergency Management and Business Continuity Program. You’ll also oversee intranet management, town hall communication activities, and support on important institutional priorities as required.
The successful candidate will be a proactive planner with solid experience in communicating change and executing on project details. A confident self-starter, you have a high degree of professionalism and develop strong relationships with colleagues and clients. Strong, versatile writing and editing skills are imperative.
In this role you’ll have the opportunity to flex your creative skills to develop content for a variety of internal and external channels. The Communication Specialist excels in a supporting role and has excellent client management, relationship building, and communication skills.
The Communications Specialist will be responsible for the following:
- Work in partnership with internal clients, and in collaboration with the Communication Strategists, to lead, develop and implement engaging and effective strategic communication plans, campaigns, and projects
- Provide strategic advice and guidance to leaders and staff on communication matters
- Comprehensive communication planning, including strategies, briefing notes, blogs and other communications to support client goals and objectives
- Write, produce, and edit feature content and strategic news stories for the intranet and nait.ca
- Support clients’ operational needs by providing communication templates, tools and advice
- Use metrics and analytics, such as Google Analytics, to increase engagement and readership and views of client content
- Build and nurture strong relationships with internal clients and stakeholders
- Work closely with Marketing and Communication colleagues to deliver integrated client services
- Contribute to NAIT-wide initiatives as a member of the communications team and contribute content for various internal and external publications including the staff intranet, nait.ca and techlifetoday.ca
Skills & Abilities:
The Communication Specialist is an experienced communicator. They stay up to date on the latest communication trends and best practice in the field. They advocate for their clients and colleagues. They understand and interpret business data to effectively identify communication opportunities. They have in-depth knowledge of NAIT’s brand platform and can identify/advise their clients on matters related to brand standards. They use their keen eye for a good story to identify content opportunities that meet the needs of their clients as well as other content platforms at NAIT.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams and clients
- Experience with a variety of different communications channels and platforms
- Ability to analyze data and metrics to assess the effectiveness of communication efforts
- Comfortable consulting with senior leaders, staff and students
- Strong project and time management skills
- Ability to thrive in a busy team environment
- Knowledge of industry trends and best practices in internal and change communications
- Ability to think creatively and generate new ideas
- A Post-secondary degree or diploma in communications, journalism, public relations, English or related field.
- Minimum five years’ related communications experience, including communications planning experience
- A combination of education and experience may be considered
Remuneration: $2,472.94 – $3,276.34 biweekly, plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this opportunity.
At NAIT, people matter.
We’re proud to have been named one of Alberta’s Top Employers for 12 consecutive years. Developing an engaging, supportive and rewarding work culture is something we take seriously. We know that people are our biggest asset – they are what makes NAIT a great place to work.
At NAIT, you are part of a community that makes a difference in the lives of students, staff and industry clients and partners. The NAIT culture reflects our shared values of respect, collaboration, celebration, creativity and accountability. We are committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and are a proud partner of the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion and Pride at Work Canada. NAIT is committed to advancing equity and cultivating inclusion throughout the hiring process. We especially encourage applications from Aboriginal and Indigenous people, Black and racialized people, gender and sexually diverse (2SLGBTQIA+ and women) people, immigrants, and people with disabilities.
What we offer
We’ve created a benefits package that focuses on health and wellness, professional and personal growth, recognition and work-life balance.
NAIT is a flexible workplace and depending on the nature of your role, you may request flexible work arrangements with respect to where and when you work, including being on-campus full-time, working off-site, or a combination of the two.
Employees also have access to excellent vacation time, paid time off between Christmas and New Year’s, a strong recognition program, learning opportunities, 2 annual all-staff professional development days and so much more.
Health and safety
NAIT continues to encourage everyone coming to our campuses to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to get their booster shots as soon as they are eligible. Vaccination against COVID-19 remains the best way to prevent severe illness and death, and third doses can boost immunity to improve protection and limit spread.
Applicants with education credentials earned outside of Canada who have not had them previously assessed should have their credentials evaluated by World Education Services or the International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS)
NAIT is an inclusive employer and strives to hire a diverse workforce. If you are contacted by us regarding a job opportunity, please don’t hesitate to advise if you require any accommodation during the selection process. Please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank you for your application, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2023
To apply for this job please visit nait.startdate.ca.