Website North Vancouver District Public Library
BRANCH COORDINATOR (Regular Full-Time)
Lynn Valley Library (Primary), Parkgate or Capilano: Welcoming Initiatives Department
JOB POSTING #22-08L | Closing Date: July 11, 2022
North Vancouver District Public Library inspires learning, discovery, creativity and collaboration in our community. Serving almost 90,000 residents across three current locations in the District of North Vancouver, NVDPL has supported a love of reading and culture of learning and discovery for 55 years. Our library is the destination for our growing community to connect, share, and inspire.
Reporting to the Manager of Welcoming Initiatives, the Branch Coordinator takes the lead in representing the policies, goals and initiatives of the Library Board and Strategic Leadership Team to all staff and the public. This position communicates and coordinates across departments and with management to ensure successful day-to-day service delivery and branch operations.
Under the direction of the Manager you will be responsible to:
• Coordinate day-to-day branch activities and operations
• Ensure branch spaces are attractive, tidy and prepared to receive patrons
• Plan and execute initiatives related to space design, service design and delivery
• Provide leadership and guidance to staff to support Library goals including the provision of excellent service
• Schedule staff to ensure the consistent delivery and availability of information services
• Assist with the sourcing, costing and procurement of approved products and services
• Assist with the delivery of information services, collection weeding and planning programs that meet with the Library’s goals and objectives, as well as the needs of the community
• Serve as a key contact in managing the branch’s public space, incidents and matters requiring assistance from local agencies
• Oversee the emergency preparedness of the branch. Communicate and promote all health & safety requirements
• Chair branch staff meetings; invite guests who can further staff knowledge of key library initiatives
• Respond to patron concerns and escalate as needed
• Maintain awareness of the facility’s mechanical and security systems; contractors; and assist with the coordination of facility maintenance as needed
• Recommend changes in service delivery and participate in the development of library policies and procedures
• Promote the library through community liaison, tours and/or presentations
• Provide a variety of professional librarian services to patrons, such as reference, advisory and research services
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with both internal and external contacts
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing with library staff, vendors, contractors, members of the community and other stakeholders
Your qualifications include graduation from University in a relevant discipline, successful completion of an MLS or MLIS degree from an accredited library school and considerable related experience.
The most suitable candidates:
• are confident role models for library staff with experience coaching others to achieve service improvement
• feel energized serving members of the public from all walks of life, maintaining positivity and enthusiasm in a busy work environment with frequent interruptions
• make customer service a top priority while using good judgement and empathy when applying library policies
• view the organization as a unified team and have experience resolving interpersonal conflict
• are comfortable with uncertainty, curious to learn more and remain calm under pressure
• are highly-organized, and able to carry out job functions with flexibility, creativity and initiative.
The hourly pay rate for this unionized position starts at $37.92 (2021 rates), based on a 35-hour workweek, plus a generous benefits package. This work requires flexible availability, including evenings and weekend shifts.
North Vancouver District Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, barrier-free work environment. If you have a passion for connecting community, sharing knowledge, and inspiring stories, and you are interested in joining our dynamic team, then we’d like to hear from you!
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online only with your cover letter and resume at: https://careers.dnv.org by July 11, 2022 to be considered for this competition.
We thank you for your interest in employment with the North Vancouver District Public Library and advise that only those short listed for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit careers.dnv.org.