Website Mount Royal University
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, nearly 15,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut’ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is “Mohkinstsis,” which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Library
Housed in the Riddell Library and Learning Centre, the University Library is an integral part of the MRU experience. The Library values a healthy inclusive workplace, encourages a culture of innovation and teamwork, and provides support for professional development. The Library team consists of approximately 60 employees.
The services, facilities, programming and expertise available in the Library support innovative teaching, learning, and scholarship across campus. The Library includes the Archives and Special Collections, and specialized and technology-enriched teaching and learning spaces, including information literacy classrooms, a Maker Studio, audio production rooms, and a range of visualization, simulation, and immersive spaces.
About the Role
The Library Communications Coordinator provides communications leadership and support for a wide range of projects in the University library and library-related projects across campus. Reporting to the Dean, University Library, this position oversees the development of content on the University library’s website, on library digital signage locations (both static and interactive), and on the library’s social media channels. The person in this position engages with individuals, departments, and teams across the Library to provide support, advice, and guidance related to defining and communicating key messages and status updates on Library initiatives, services or programming. They work closely with MRU’s marketing and communications department to ensure consistency and alignment. They will demonstrate a commitment to incorporating equity, diversity and inclusion in their approach and their work. The person in this position is responsible for coordinating, compiling, editing, and/or drafting content and copy for web, print, and digital Library publications, with the goal of efficiently and effectively communicating the Library’s initiatives, supports, teaching, resources, and programs.
- Coordinates the creation and deployment of content on the Library’s website, on static and interactive digital display locations, on social media accounts, and in other locations as needed.
- Responsible for maintaining Library social media accounts, including monitoring, updating, posting, and responding on channels.
- Manages Library web content and digital display content using appropriate platforms and content management systems, and trains users on the systems.
- Collaborates with individuals and teams across the Library to ensure communications reflect Library priorities, services, and plans; consults with the University’s Marketing and Communications team to ensure alignment with University-wide initiatives and guidelines.
- Provides training, advice, and guidance to content creators and contributors for web, digital, and print publications within the Library.
- Provides advice and recommendations on configuration and implementation of social media platforms, aligning with University-wide policy and guidelines.
- Compiles information in response to requests for information from external groups, and prepares Library experts for interviews as appropriate.
- Engages with teams and departments within the Library to provide communications support for Library projects and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree, required
- 3 – 5 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated expertise in writing for social media platforms, websites, and digital display
- Evidence of innovation and creativity
- Ability to work independently and employ excellent judgment
- Excellent communications and critical thinking skills.
- Ability to work successfully with individuals at all levels of a complex organization.
- Work experience in an academic environment and/or a library environment is an asset.
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, climbing, aquatics, sports and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Compensation: $64,532 – $81,690 per annum
Closes: September 25, 2023
Mount Royal University
Calgary, AB , AB
To apply for this job please visit mtroyalca.hua.hrsmart.com.