Website McMaster University
Schedule: Monday to Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm
Education Level: Bachelor’s Degree in Digital Media, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
Career Level: Requires 3 years of relevant experience
Housing and Conference Services (HCS) directly supports the University’s goal of advancing human and societal wellbeing and overriding vision of ‘educating for capability’. We currently provide a distinctive living and learning experience for 3600 students focused on key educational priorities including community development, personal growth and wellness, academic excellence, and inclusion.
HCS concurrently drives a positive McMaster experience for guests, alumni, staff, faculty and students by providing accommodation and event coordination, which meet the highest standards of service excellence. HCS is a proud and significant ancillary contributor to the financial health of the University and the core academic and research mission of McMaster.
HCS is currently in a time of significant expansion as capacity is expanding by 66% over the next 5 years. Moving from 3600 to 6000 bed spaces across 15 buildings. This expansion will diversify the housing operation dramatically, from a traditional focus on the housing needs of first year undergraduate students, to the introduction of upper year, graduate, and family housing, in addition to a constantly diversifying internal and external client base.
The annual budget for HCS is currently (pre-expansion) approximately $31 million and we employ 100+ full-time and 250 part-time staff. HCS reports directly to both the divisions of Student Affairs, as well as Operations & Finance.
The Social Media and Content Coordinator will be responsible for developing and administering social media and digital content presence; Creates, implements, tracks and monitors Housing & Conference Services’ online communication strategy. Contributes to the maintenance and development of websites.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage social media campaigns and presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other similar community sites, creating relevant content and seeding content into social applications as needed.
- Understand the target audience for each social media account, help to create engaging, relevant and timely content in a variety of media including photographs, video that support HCS’ goals.
- Monitor the impact of social media and digital programs, and analyze, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in order to make adjustments for maximum results.
- Monitor social media including trends and applications.
- Develop and implement appropriate policies and procedures related to social media, online digital presence to complement social media campaigns and the delivery of campus-wide messaging, ensuring that all posts and activity complements the
- University’s overall strategic plan and stated priorities.
- Maintain and update HCS’ social media guidelines.
- Design and deliver social media and digital campaigns to achieve outreach goals.
- Work with staff to generate online and social media content and reach desired audiences.
- Educate staff on the guidelines as well as best practices for social media.
- Analyze current electronic initiatives and strategies for effectiveness of the programs.
- Explore new media channels to engage with audiences.
- Gather web site and digital material from a variety of sources; edits, proofs and posts content.
- Write and procure from available sources web site and digital content related to news, research, events, residence, and activities postings.
- Ensure that all web site content is uploaded to the site on a timely basis, refreshed and updated.
- Ensure information and design flow adheres to branding specifications and is conducive to a user friendly find and view pattern.
- Rework existing web sites, styling and content coding to provide minor alterations.
- Help to optimize website content by utilizing search engine optimization best practices, implementing keyword content strategies.
- Evaluate all content for its value in search engine optimization according, but not limited to, key word frequency, key word density, and formatting.
- Convert content, images, and forms into standard compliant HTML coding.
- Develop new functionality, original designs, elements and code to enhance existing web sites.
- Plan, schedule, and monitor own work within short time horizons.
- Maintain records and prepare documentation related to activities including resources such as web pages and databases.
- Create communication, marketing, and dissemination tools and content for diverse audiences in print and electronic formats
- Gather information and help to create presentations for diverse audiences within specified guidelines.
- Collaborate with program staff to plan, coordinate, and implement various communication projects.
- Provide recommendations on the future development of communication strategy structure, function, and activity and assist in the planning and coordination of a variety of events, conferences and activities.
- Communicate with various members of the community to explain the background roles, functions, activities, products, and services of the program.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and provide specialized communication information.
- Write a variety of documents such as training handbooks, procedure manuals, reports, and presentations.
- Collect, verify, and input data into a variety of spreadsheets and databases.
- Update and maintain information on websites.
- Remain current with frequent changes to software and multi-media mediums.
- Provide direction to others in how to carry out work tasks.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and procedures for short-term staff.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Digital Media, Communications, Marketing or a related field and acceptable combination of education and experience
- Requires 3 years of relevant experience
- Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite 5 (or greater), Microsoft Office, and WordPress.
- Experience writing and editing online content.
- Experience with digital and social media platforms and marketing tools such as blogs, RSS feeds, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other digital communities.
- Exceptional project coordination skills, specifically as they relate to communications planning (digital and print media).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Must possess excellent customer service skills and a positive attitude.
- Experience in facilitating partnerships with constituents from a variety of institutional functional areas.
- Demonstrated knowledge of information communication standards of practice in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
- G license and reliable transportation to attend events and occasionally pick up marketing materials
- Proficient in using Adobe Suite tools.
- Ability to monitor website analytics.
Employment Equity Statement
McMaster University is located on the traditional territories of the Haudenosaunee and Mississauga Nations and within the lands protected by the “Dish With One Spoon” wampum agreement.
The diversity of our workforce is at the core of our innovation and creativity and strengthens our research and teaching excellence. In keeping with its Statement on Building an Inclusive Community with a Shared Purpose, McMaster University strives to embody the values of respect, collaboration and diversity, and has a strong commitment to employment equity.
The University seeks qualified candidates who share our commitment to equity and inclusion, who will contribute to the diversification of ideas and perspectives, and especially welcomes applications from indigenous (First Nations, Métis or Inuit) peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, women, and persons who identify as 2SLGBTQ+.
As part of McMaster’s commitment, all applicants are invited to complete a confidential Applicant Diversity Survey through the online application submission process. The Survey questionnaire requests voluntary self-identification in relation to equity-seeking groups that have historically faced and continue to face barriers in employment. Please refer to the Applicant Diversity Survey – Statement of Collection for additional information.
Job applicants requiring accommodation to participate in the hiring process should contact:
Human Resources Service Centre at 905-525-9140 ext. 222-HR (22247), or
Faculty of Health Sciences HR Office at ext. 22207, or
School of Graduate Studies at ext. 23679
to communicate accommodation needs.
Vaccination Policy Statement
The University is committed to providing and maintaining healthy and safe working and learning environments for all employees, students, volunteers and visitors. The University’s Vaccination Policy-COVID-19 Requirements for Employees and Students (the “Vaccination Policy”), requires all McMaster community members, including employees, accessing a McMaster campus or facility in person to be fully vaccinated or to have received an exemption from the University for a valid human rights ground. While the Vaccination Policy is currently paused, it may resume quickly and on short notice, as informed by public health advice and direction. Should it become necessary in future to resume the Policy, all community members will need to demonstrate compliance at that time. The University will continue to follow the guidance of public health organizations to define fully vaccinated status.
Hybrid Work Language
To ensure an ongoing and vibrant University community that meets the needs of our students, staff and faculty and supports the University mission, ability to work on-site continues to be a requirement for most University positions. The University is supportive of exploring flexible work arrangements that effectively balance operational needs and employee interests.
Deadline to apply: February 13, 2023
To apply for this job please visit careers.mcmaster.ca.