Website Library of Parliament
The Library of Parliament is a legislative library that serves Canada’s Senate and House of Commons. It contributes to Canadian parliamentary democracy by creating, managing, and delivering authoritative, reliable, and relevant information and knowledge for and about Parliament. Committed to workplace and organizational excellence, the Library has been recognized as one of the National Capital Region’s Top Employers for 2022 and 2023. The Library is seeking a strategic leader for the role of Director General, Information and Document Resource Services (IDRS).
Reporting to the Parliamentary Librarian, the Director General (DG) leads the IDRS team in providing parliamentarians and their staff access to five library branches and a comprehensive collection of print and digital resources, keeping clients informed with news and discovery tools, and offering reference services. The DG, IDRS is also responsible for preserving Parliament’s documentary heritage and offering historical information about Parliament to the public. As a member of the Library Executive Committee, the DG also plays a critical role providing insight, guidance, and advice to the Parliamentary Librarian on Library priorities and corporate initiatives. The new Director General will work collaboratively to anticipate future client needs in positioning IDRS and the Library to meet the challenges of delivering services in an ever-changing information environment.
Ideally-suited candidates will possess the following key credentials, experience, and knowledge:
- A Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) or equivalent. A PhD in the field would also be welcome;
- Senior leadership experience within a similarly complex organization;
- Significant experience at the executive level leading an organization’s library programs including integrated library systems, collection development, preservation, and reference services;
- Experience leading the development and implementation of information management policies and frameworks including records management in a physical and digital context;
- Experience managing human, financial and information resources;
- Experience with change management methods and practices to respond to evolving needs, build engagement, and deliver on priorities;
- Experience working in, or closely with, a political/governmental/parliamentary organization and with senior officials;
- Knowledge in a wide range of library and information science and information management principles, theories, techniques and practices;
- Knowledge of the statutes that apply to the Library, including the Parliament of Canada Act and the Official Languages Act;
- The ability to build trusting and collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- The ability to foster a culture of excellence with a client-centred approach in leading and developing high performing teams;
- The ability to communicate effectively in both official languages;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Personal attributes of being strategic, collaborative, innovative, decisive, personable, respectful, client-centric, and team-oriented.
Salary range: $174,802 to $205,650
To apply for this position, please submit your application and related materials to email@example.com and state “Director General, IDRS” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Closing Date: June 9, 2023
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the role will be contacted.
The Library of Parliament is committed to building diverse, equitable, inclusive, and accessible working environments and particularly encourages applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our workforce including, but not limited to racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity. Please advise us if you require any accommodation throughout the process.
Your privacy and the protection of your personal information are important to us. The information you provide is protected under the Privacy Act and kept in the strictest confidence.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.