Website Kimberley Public Library
Library Director Kimberley , BC
Choose your own adventure…
Here is the library opportunity you’ve been waiting for that could have you starting the New Year with a fabulous new job! Come join our amazing library team in a growing community that earlier this year, thousands of BC residents voted, the “Best Small Town in British Columbia.”
About Kimberley: A growing community of over 8000 residents, BC’s Kimberley, in the East Kootenay region, offers the perfect playground of hiking, kayaking, skiing, golfing, fishing, wildlife watching and many other outdoor activities and adventures! Unique shops, services and restaurants/coffee shops are within walking distance of the library, located on the beautiful Kimberley Platzl.
About the Library: The KPL has a dedicated team of seven experienced staff members committed to customer service excellence. There are over 3500 active library card holders that enjoy thousands of physical resources including books, magazines, DVD’s, spoken word books, and more. Online resources include eBooks, audio books, databases and free courses providing patrons opportunities to learn and develop new creative talents and business skills. We offer a popular variety of services and maker/activity items that can be enjoyed daily, and weekly bi- weekly & monthly programs.
About the role: The KPL is seeking an energetic, engaging, and customer service focused director, who embraces our library vision, mission and values. A consummate professional who understands the value of popular programs and services while keeping an eye on emerging technologies and future offerings. The perfect fit will be someone with several years public library experience, able to manage staff cooperatively, provide consistent professional performance, while having fun with staff and patrons.
- Master of Library Information Science is preferred, a Master of Library Science, or
- Library Information Technician Diploma with 2 years experience in a public library, or
- at minimum, a Community Librarian Certificate, with 5 years public library work with supervisory experience
- Combinations of the above requirements may be considered for the correct candidate
- Management of the staff team within a Unionized environment
- Recruitment and retention, training, and evaluating of library staff,
- Overseeing contract services
- Monitor employee hours, schedule staff, hold regular staff meetings
- Maintain regular communications with the Library Board regarding staffing
- Provide ongoing leadership and direction in all areas of financial management, financial reporting, and financial analysis and control
- Monitor and process invoices for payment by bookkeeper
- Prepare and monitor an annual budget in consultation with the Library Board
- Maintain regular communications and reporting with the Library Board and all funding partners as required
- Pursue funding sources, such as grants
Services & Programs:
- Adhere to all policies, where policies do not exist, seek direction from the Library Board
- Implement and direct day-to-day operations (collecting statistical data, circulation functions, patron services, office duties, collections development)
- Secure funding for programming; design, implement and track outcomes of programming
- Responsible for all aspects of collection management for physical and online resources
- Maintain the library’s various technologies, including the public and staff computers, printers, audio visual equipment and internet working with contracted tech support company
- Maintain awareness of, and implement, emerging technologies
- Represent the interests of the library with the public, media, internal and external partners, etc.
- Maintain and build collaborative relationships
- Advocacy for the library with community groups
- Ensures routine maintenance, accessibility, and safe operation of all library areas
- Works with staff to provide a welcoming, safe, creative, and inclusive space where patrons of all ages and diversities are embraced
- Work with staff and Library Board to develop vision and values for the future
- Advise Library Board on strategic challenges
- Attend all Board meetings to report, advise, record, and participate in discussions
- Act as a liaison with Public Library Branch, community partners and funding partners as needed to meet the goals of the KPL Public Library’s Strategic Plan
- Prepare accountability reports for the Province and other stakeholders
- Bargaining for Collective Agreement with USW
Required attributes/ knowledge/ physical demands:
- Passion to deliver excellent patron service
- Enthusiasm for libraries, literacy, and community
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of automated library systems and public library operations
- Good interpersonal, communication, organizational and time management skills
- Competent and able to provide direction to patrons with questions about Microsoft Office software, various browser applications, and e-book & audio books apps such as Libby
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity, ability to work effectively in diverse cultural settings, specifically First Nations communities
- Ability to work in a flexible and changing environment, adapting to changes in responsibilities and duties
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and public
- Ability to use judgment in the application of library policies and procedures
- Understanding of internet protocols and intermediate internet search skills
- Criminal record check required every 5 years
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 pounds
- This position requires extensive computer work, both standing and sitting
Compensation: $65,000 to $75,000 dependent on education and experience
Interested persons are invited to submit a cover letter and resume as a single PDF to Greg Bradley (Board Chair) at email@example.com by 5 pm on the specified closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those qualified candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
A Criminal Record Check with a check for Vulnerable Sectors will be required for the successful candidate.
Personal information contained in your resume is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used strictly for employment assessment purposes.
The Kimberley Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in the workplace.
$65,000 to $75,000 dependent on education and experience
Closes: 6 February, 2023
Kimberley Public Library
Kimberley , BC
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.