Website County of Lambton
Job Number: J1222-0551
Job Title: Public Services Assistant – Adult
Position Status: Part Time
Job Category: Library Services
Division: Cultural Services
Facility: Library Headquarters
City: Wyoming, Ontario, Canada
Number of Positions: 1
Hours of Work: 24 hours/week
Wage Rate: $20.86 – $24.89/Hour
Date Posted: January 23, 2023
Closing Date: January 29, 2023
Starting Date: February 20, 2023
The County of Lambton is an urban-rural area in southwestern Ontario that is home to over 126,000 residents. The Corporation’s seven divisions operate programs and services for the residents of Lambton County such as land ambulance, provincial offences court, three Long-Term Care Homes, 25 library branches, two museums, an art gallery, archives, local roadways, public health services, housing services, social services, building services and planning and development services. Lambton County is a community dedicated to economic growth, environmental stewardship and an enhanced quality of life through the provision of responsive and efficient services and collaborative efforts with its municipal and community partners.
As a member of the Lambton County Library system, the Public Services Assistant – Adult, supports the work of the Public Services Coordinator – Adult Programs & Outreach by assisting in the development and delivery of programming for adult patrons of the Lambton County Library. The Public Services Assistant – Adult also works with the Public Services Coordinators to assist in establishing meaningful outreach opportunities that support the strategic direction of the Lambton County Library. The Public Services Assistant – Adult is responsible for supporting a library service that meets the strategic direction set forth by senior management and Lambton County Council.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Assist Public Services Coordinators in making necessary preparations to deliver programming for Lambton County Library’s adult patrons
• Assist with the promotion of collections and programs in conjunction with the Public Services Coordinators and the Communications Officer
• Assist the Public Services Coordinator – Adult Programs & Outreach in establishing meaningful partnership and outreach opportunities
• Support the outreach initiatives undertaken by the Public Services Coordinators
• Establish profiles for exchanges in identified deposit collections
• Work with the Public Services Coordinator – Adult Programs and Outreach to identify new deposit collections or other outreach opportunities
• Perform administrative support services for outreach activities
• Develop and maintain outreach services for identified populations
• Perform administrative support services for a volunteer program
• Contribute input to written reports and / or compile statistics, as directed
• Maintain necessary corporate files in accordance with the County of Lambton’s Records Retention By-law
• Work in conjunction with the Communications Officer to ensure adequate promotion of library programs
• Provide coverage for Public Services Assistant – Youth as required
Customer Service / Communication Responsibilities:
• Represent the library effectively in the community
• Interact pleasantly and courteously with the public, community partners and staff, promoting a harmonious workplace
Other Job Tasks / Responsibilities:
• Assist in the maintenance of designated collections and selection of materials following the direction set forth by Public Service Coordinators and related Lambton County Library policy and / or legislation
• Keep current with trends and practices to maintain necessary skills
• May be required to travel to various facilities for purposes of employment
• Incumbents must keep up-to-date on all relevant legislation, collective bargaining agreements, County Policies and Procedures, etc. ensuring that these are implemented as prescribed
• Incumbents must possess the physical ability to meet the duties and responsibilities of the job description and/or the requirements identified within the position’s Physical Demands Analysis
These describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents in this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties in the classification. Other duties may be assigned.
Direct Supervision: None
Indirect Supervision: None
Functional Authority: May occasionally provide guidance and instruction to Student Pages, summer students and volunteers.
Minimum Formal Education:
• Two-Year Library Technician college diploma, or the equivalent in combination of education and experience
• Minimum six months in a library environment
• Computer experience including Microsoft Office products, Outlook, Internet, electronic databases, digital platforms, etc.
• Interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
• Previous library experience an asset
• A satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and / or Police Information Check, as applicable
The County of Lambton is an equal opportunity employer servicing our diverse communities. The County of Lambton is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. This information is available in an alternative format upon request, to accommodate individuals with a disability. Although we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information required by this posting/advertisement is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 1990, CHAPTER M.56, as amended. The treatment, storage and handling of personal information is governed by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER M.56, as amended and will be used in reviewing applications. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Corporate Manager, Human Resources, County of Lambton, 789 Broadway Street, Box 3000, Wyoming, Ontario N0N 1T0. Phone 519-845-0801 or Toll-free at 1-866-324-6912.
To apply for this job please visit countyoflambton.njoyn.com.