Website County of Lambton
Job Number: J0122-1099
Job Title: Community Librarian
Position Status: Temporary Full Time
Job Category: Library Services
Union: LCEA – OBSOLETE
Division: Cultural Services
Facility: Region 4 Libraries (Corunna, Mooretown, Brigden, Courtright, Sombra, Port Lambton, Wilkesport)
City: Region 4 Libraries, Ontario, Canada
Number of Positions: 1
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Wage Rate: $26.24 – $31.30/Hour
Date Posted: January 24, 2023
Closing Date: February 5, 2023
Starting Date: February 27, 2023
The County of Lambton is an urban-rural area in southwestern Ontario that is home to over 126,000 residents. The Corporation’s seven divisions operate programs and services for the residents of Lambton County such as land ambulance, provincial offences court, three Long-Term Care Homes, 25 library branches, two museums, an art gallery, archives, local roadways, public health services, housing services, social services, building services and planning and development services. Lambton County is a community dedicated to economic growth, environmental stewardship and an enhanced quality of life through the provision of responsive and efficient services and collaborative efforts with its municipal and community partners.
As a member of the Lambton County Library system, the Community Librarian is responsible for providing front line customer service to visitors of Lambton County Library and support services to staff members. In addition to promoting a welcoming and inviting library environment, the Community Librarian will develop, plan, coordinate and provide outreach programs inside in the library and throughout the local community. This will be accomplished by liaising with the community to help determine programming needs, often in collaboration with Public Services Coordinators. The Community Librarian will also provide specialized programming inside the library and provide training to library staff. The Community Librarian is responsible for delivering a library service that meets the strategic direction set forth by senior management and Lambton County Council.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Organize and deliver programs, outreach and partnership opportunities with organizations, groups, agencies businesses and other stakeholders in collaboration with Public Services Coordinators, Technical Librarian, and Assistant Library Supervisor(s), to increase the use of library resources and services in response to the current and future needs of the community
• Collaborate with Public Services Coordinators, Technical Librarian, Community Library Supervisor, and Assistant Library Supervisor(s) to accomplish strategic initiatives in alignment with library goals and objectives
• Assist in identifying community needs, trends and demographics
• Provide in-depth information and readers’ advisory services to the public
• Provide reference services to library patrons
• Promote reading and lifelong learning in the community
• Deliver presentations within the library and the community, along with library tours, orientations and class visits
• Seek opportunities to promote library services through presentations, membership on appropriate committees and through participation in community events
• Organize and deliver instructional programming to members of the public
• Act as a professional librarian resource for Branch Assistants
• Instruct the public and staff in the use of the catalogue and the library’s online resources
• Deliver training to library staff
• Provide coverage for Branch Assistants when required, undertaking those duties including circulation, administration, readers’ advisory, reference and programming
• Maintain necessary corporate files in accordance with the County of Lambton’s Records Retention By-law
• Maintain necessary files and statistics as required
• Conduct research, produce reports, as required
• Apply circulation policies and procedures
• Perform a wide variety of clerical tasks related to circulation and in support of borrowing and lending services using a variety of manual and automated systems
Customer Service / Communication Responsibilities:
• Represent the library effectively in the community
• Interact pleasantly and courteously with the public, community partners and staff, promoting a harmonious workplace
• Provide instructions or assistance to the public in the use of new technologies and / or electronic platforms
Other Job Tasks / Responsibilities:
• Ensure the effective use of the Integrated Library System (ILS)
• Develop an understanding of electronic platforms and resources that can be used by patrons to enhance their library experience
• May be required to travel to various facilities for purposes of employment.
• Incumbents must keep up-to-date on all relevant legislation, collective bargaining agreements, County Policies and Procedures, etc. ensuring that these are implemented as prescribed
• Incumbents must possess the physical ability to meet the duties and responsibilities of the job description and/or the requirements identified within the position’s Physical Demands Analysis
These describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbents in this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all job duties in the classification. Other duties may be assigned.
Direct Supervision: None
Indirect Supervision: None
Functional Authority: None
Minimum Formal Education
• University Degree – Masters of Library and Information Science
• Minimum six months in a service related job or previous volunteer work in a Library
• Computer experience including Microsoft Office products, Outlook, Internet, electronic database, digital platforms, etc.
• Interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills
• Previous library experience, and experience using an Integrated Library System (ILS) an asset
• A satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check and / or Police Information Check, as applicable
The County of Lambton is an equal opportunity employer servicing our diverse communities. The County of Lambton is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs. This information is available in an alternative format upon request, to accommodate individuals with a disability. Although we appreciate all applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information required by this posting/advertisement is collected under the authority of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, 1990, CHAPTER M.56, as amended. The treatment, storage and handling of personal information is governed by the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, R.S.O. 1990, CHAPTER M.56, as amended and will be used in reviewing applications. Questions about this collection should be directed to the Corporate Manager, Human Resources, County of Lambton, 789 Broadway Street, Box 3000, Wyoming, Ontario N0N 1T0. Phone 519-845-0801 or Toll-free at 1-866-324-6912.
To apply for this job please visit countyoflambton.njoyn.com.