Public Library serving ~40,000 residents in the County of Brant
Position Title: Digital Collections Intern
Department: County of Brant Public Library
Location: Paris Branch
Reports to: Coordinator, Outreach and Community Impact
Status: 16-week contract; 30 hours per week (funded by Young Canada Works)
Start Date: Monday, October 31, 2022
End Date: Friday, March 03, 2023
Pay Rate: $20.00 per hour
General Purpose: Reporting to the Coordinator, Outreach and Community Impact, the Digital Collections Intern will assist with documenting the history in the County of Brant. Responsibilities include the organization and scanning of various historical documents for inclusion in the Library’s digital local history collection, complete indexing of various historical documents. Planning of local history-related programs including a series of local history programs tying into Heritage Week 2023 will also be worked on. The successful candidate will be an efficient, detail-oriented individual with strong research skills, knowledge of archival best practices, and an interest in the history of small towns and rural communities.
- Develops programming and promotion related to local history
- Adds to ongoing inventory of local history through research and digitization of pertinent materials
- Handles organization and scanning of historical documents for inclusion in the Library’s local history collection
- Reads and identifies key words and concepts in the historical documents for summary
- Writes thorough and accurate indexes for each added item in the collection
- Photographs items of historical significance and conducts interviews with the public as part of researching information
- Liaises with local museums, archives, and land registry office to conduct research and assist with event coordination
- Conducts Research related to history-related queries from the public and historical topics suitable for public presentations
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Able to work well both independently and as part of a team.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license and have reliable access to a vehicle for commuting and other travel within the County of Brant, as required
- High level of comfort interacting with and doing presentations for the public
- Good knowledge of archival and museum practices including indexing
- Understanding of social media best practices
- Excellent computer skills
- Experience with digital technologies and image manipulation
- Successful candidate must be a recent college or university graduate and under 30 years of age in accordance with Young Canada Works internship hiring criteria
- Students of Master of Library Science, Museum Studies or General History are preferred.
How to Apply: Please send a copy of your résumé with covering letter to: Gary Jermy Coordinator, Outreach and Community Impact at County of Brant Public Library
- By mail: 12 William Street, Paris, ON, N3L 1K7
- By fax: 519-442-7582
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The application deadline is Thursday, October 6 at 5:00pm. We thank all applicants and advise that only candidates being interviewed will be contacted. The County of Brant Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.