Website Corus Entertainment
Show Producer – Global News, The West Block
Ottawa, ON, Canada Req #3231
Date Posted: Monday, September 18, 2023
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
Our culture and our people are what make us, US.
We have a passion to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people’s lives. Our award-winning culture is an expression of who we are, what we do, and how we thrive. Our values describe our culture in action. They outline how we achieve our goals, work together, engage with partners, and interact in our communities. At Corus, we Win Together, Think Beyond, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day and Show We Care.
Ready to join US?
Division: Global News – The West Block
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Ottawa, ON (Onsite)
About the role:
Global News is currently looking for a full-time Show Producer to join the #1 Parliamentary Bureau in Ottawa. Reporting to the Executive Producer, the successful candidate will lead the production of Global’s flagship national political program,The West Block with Mercedes Stephenson. The West Block is Canada’s highest-rated Sunday political show with a growing broadcast and digital audience. The ideal candidate is an ideas powerhouse who is passionate about leading political coverage and understands what it takes to create smart, innovative and impactful programming that advances the story. This role may involve working a variety of shifts including evenings and weekends when needed. This is a Group 4 position under the current collective agreement.
You will contribute by:
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Pitching, lining up, producing, and writing content for The West Block and Global National News
- Collaborating with the team to break and develop stories that drive news cycles, including pitching and delivering exclusive interviews and newsmakers
- Overseeing technical production of the West Block, including building rundowns, writing and vetting scripts, control room producing, and post-production editing
- Producing field shoots, road shows, news items, remote segments, and special event coverage as needed
- Writing, editing, and producing packaged and live segments
- Booking guests and conducting field interviews when needed
- Participating in editorial discussions and collaborating with the host and executive producer to determine the editorial direction and content of the show
- Organizing coverage plans for major national stories and breaking news events
- Displaying strong editorial judgement
- Generating enterprise, investigative and diverse stories that reflect the country
- Working to expand The West Block brand and viewership on television, radio, and digital platforms
- Maintaining and continuing to expand a network of political contacts while delivering high-profile guests
- Working with the Graphics team to produce graphic elements to enhance storytelling and the overall look of the show
- Collaborating with all Global News platforms and affiliate stations
- Performing other duties as required
Skills and experience you will bring:
- Post-secondary education in a journalism or broadcast related field
- Minimum five years of broadcast experience with a strong background in political or national news
- Experience as a news producer including show writing, news scripts, and working in a control room
- Proven track record working in leadership roles on interview-based national morning or political news shows preferred
- Skilled at covering breaking news and major events
- In-depth knowledge of Canadian, American, and international politics and news
- Exceptional editorial judgment and news writing skills
- Well-established political, national, and international network of contacts and sources
- Ability to deliver high level guests and compelling interviews
- Excellent visual storyteller and familiarity with news video editing
- Proven ability to grow audiences and develop successful programs
- Committed to a diversity of voices and perspectives
- Must have excellent interpersonal and people skills with the ability to work effectively independently and cooperatively in a team environment
- Strong leadership skills and high level of comfort providing clear constructive feedback
- Ability to work in a high-pressure breaking news environment with tight deadlines
- Highly organized, self-motivated and creative
- Excellent problem solver and team player
- French language skills considered an asset
Every day, we work hard to become an even more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that supports the well-being of our people and makes a positive difference in our communities. Want to learn more? Have a look at our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan and Sustainability Report for more information on our approach to People, Planet and Responsibility.
We want our workforce to reflect the full diversity of communities across Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience for candidates of all abilities. Please let your recruiter or the hiring manager know if you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process or email us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to Apply: If you’re interested in this role, click ‘apply now’.
Application Deadline: October 3, 2023
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit can231.dayforcehcm.com.