Website Corus Entertainment
Digital Reporter – Global News Kingston
Kingston, ON, Canada Req #3299
Date Posted: Thursday, September 7, 2023
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
Our culture and our people are what make us, US.
We have a passion to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people’s lives. Our award-winning culture is an expression of who we are, what we do, and how we thrive. Our values describe our culture in action. They outline how we achieve our goals, work together, engage with partners, and interact in our communities. At Corus, we Win Together, Think Beyond, Make it Happen, Learn Every Day and Show We Care.
Ready to join US?
Division: Global News Kingston – Online
Work Status: Full-Time
Location: Kingston, ON (Hybrid)
About the Role:
Global Kingston is looking for a Digital Reporter to join their online team. Reporting to the Online Managing Editor, the successful candidate would be responsible for researching, writing, and editing daily news stories and enterprise features for Globalnews.ca. This position would be part of a team of dedicated reporters responsible for keeping the Global News website current and relevant by writing original stories and curating Global News content. The working hours are primarily Monday – Friday from 8:30am-4:30pm but may include early mornings, weekdays, and evenings on occasion. This is a Group 3 position under the current collective agreement.
You will contribute by:
The following is a paraphrase of the primary functions but does not outline all the duties and responsibilities of the role:
- Pitching, chasing, and writing stories for Globalnews.ca with a focus on Kingston and the surrounding area.
- Writing and editing news stories in a creative, accurate, and concise manner.
- Generating original story ideas.
- Managing the front page of the Global Kingston website.
- Uploading written and video content to Globalnews.ca daily.
- Publishing video content to our website and social media channels.
- Establishing and maintaining a broad network of news contacts throughout Kingston and the surrounding region.
- Available to work on weekdays, evenings, and weekends.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
Skills and experience you will bring:
- Post-secondary education (or equivalent experience) in Journalism or a related field.
- Strong news writing and storytelling skills.
- Previous online journalism experience would be an asset.
- Self-starter with good communication skills and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong social media knowledge (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc.)
- Ability to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily online and broadcast deadlines in a high-tech environment.
- Understanding of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats; familiarity with online publishing tools (e.g., WordPress).
- Familiarity with Canadian Press style would be considered an asset.
- Proven ability to work as a team player with a positive attitude.
Please submit your resume and writing samples with your application.
Every day, we work hard to become an even more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace that supports the well-being of our people and makes a positive difference in our communities. Want to learn more? Have a look at our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Action Plan and Sustainability Report for more information on our approach to People, Planet and Responsibility.
We want our workforce to reflect the full diversity of communities across Canada.
We are committed to providing an accessible experience for candidates of all abilities. Please let your recruiter or the hiring manager know if you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process or email us in confidence at email@example.com.
How to Apply: If you’re interested in this role, click ‘apply now’.
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023.
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit can231.dayforcehcm.com.