Producer- The Rundown (English Services) – TOR08892
Job Family: Media Production
Primary Location: Toronto
Position Language Requirement: English Only
Language Skill Level (Reading) –
Language Skill Level (Writing) –
Language Skill Level (Speaking) –
Status of Employment: Temporary
Work schedule(s): Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC News Network is looking for an energetic and forward-thinking producer to take on an important editorial role assigned to the program the Rundown for a period of twelve months.
The Rundown launched in January, 2022 and is already proving to be a destination for viewers who want a mix of daily news and conversations about topical issues. The one-hour program airs live at 4 p.m. and at 7 p.m. ET on CBC News Network. And it is constantly seeking voices and perspectives that can provide a deeper understanding of the top news stories of the day.
Your role will focus on contributing to the Rundown’s journalistic impact through a variety of ways including creating a program line-up, writing and vetting.
The hours of work will be Monday to Friday from 12pm to 8pm. This position is based in Toronto.
The Producer is expected to contribute significantly to the editorial direction of the program. This means a primary role in building line-ups for both daily editions. In addition, the role requires the ability to write for a news program and vet other people’s work.
The Producer is expected to have a working knowledge of i-news, media-central, intercity browser and the K5 server.
The producer will also seek out new stories and voices, contribute creative and innovative story pitches, uphold a commitment to original journalism, and make editorial decisions when necessary.
Other duties include suggesting guests, researching stories, producing graphics and video editing. There is a requirement to develop meaningful stories and contacts and ensure a diversity of voices and perspectives in all news treatments. There is often a requirement to coordinate the activities of others for the production of this material. Work must adhere to CBC journalistic and/or program policies, practices and standards but initiative and independent judgment are required.
- Initiate, pitch and pursue news coverage ideas and treatments for the Rundown.
- Exercise editorial responsibility as delegated by senior producers.
- Work closely with members of the CBC’s various teams and bureaus.
- Participate in the evaluation of all aspects of the production.
- Prepare scripts and write backgrounders, question lines and segment introductions; ensure adherence to the style and mandate of the program; work with the host to provide research as needed.
- Develop program content including writing, researching and/or editing (text, graphics, video).
- Obtain and organize technical and production resources required by the program.
- Edit, encode, digitize and package audio and video material for the daily program. We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A university degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working in a national or local newsroom in daily news.
- A thorough passion for, knowledge and understanding of Canadian news and current affairs.
- Ability to take initiative, be proactive, and work independently.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and to respond to many competing demands in a short space of time without sacrificing creativity or quality.
- Proven capacity to problem solve and troubleshoot in fixed time environments.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent production skills including graphics creation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop meaningful stories and develop contacts.
- Understanding of CBC News and its priorities.
- Knowledge of, and ability to file, online stories and use social media to communicate content.
- Experience creating digital-only editorial content and working in a cross-media, multi-platform programming environment.
- Ability to work evenings and overtime as required.
- Ability to participate in a highly creative and collaborative team in a dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to take direction and work cooperatively within a small production unit.
- Bilingualism (English and French) is considered an asset.Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ”Apply online”. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Job Posting Date: Jan 23, 2023, 2:00:15 PM
Unposting Date: Feb 7, 2023, 2:59:00 AM
To apply for this job please visit cbc.taleo.net.