Reporter/Editor, assigned to Indigenous storytelling (English Services) – REG00616
Job Family: Programming (TV-Radio-Web)
Primary Location: Regina, SK
Position Language Requirement: English Only
Language Skill Level (Reading) –
Language Skill Level (Writing) –
Language Skill Level (Speaking) –
Status of Employment: Permanent
Work schedule(s): Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Are you a creative, passionate storyteller deeply connected to Indigenous communities? If so, CBC Saskatchewan is looking for you to join our team! An exceptional journalist and a self-starter, you must be able to analyze a broad range of issues and thrive in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of our multi-platform newsroom based in Regina.
You will have lots of ideas, a strong connection to, and understanding of, Saskatchewan’s Indigenous communities and a fresh approach to telling stories in the digital world. You know how to write, edit, and package digital news and current affairs content. You know the ins and outs of social media and how to be a strong visual storyteller.
In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Ability to generate, pitch and pursue strong, story ideas.
- Strong proven connection and knowledge of Indigenous culture and communities.
- Strong desire to live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
- Advanced knowledge of digital news including familiarity with social media platforms and industry trends.
- Experience vetting, editing, fact-checking and packaging digital news content.
- Willingness to learn and tackle new tasks across all CBC platforms.
- Sound news judgment and ability to work effectively under newsroom deadline pressure.
- Ability to choose relevant, audience focused stories, which reflect issues being discussed by the general public.
- Demonstrated ability to research and gather information from a variety of sources.
- Strong visual storytelling with an emphasis on photo journalism.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; a standout colleague.
- Ability to generate original, enterprise journalism.
- High energy and enthusiasm towards journalism.
- Exceptional writing skills for digital and radio platforms.
- Canadian Press style; knowledge of CBCNews.ca style an asset.
- Possession of a valid driver’s licence as well as a driving record that meets the minimum requirements of CBC/Radio-Canada’s insurance company, other classes considered an asset.
- University degree in journalism or equivalent with a minimum of three years of recent, related experience preferred.
- Ability to work a variety of shifts including early starts, late finishes and weekends.
Please include additional documentation in your cover letter. The role has an emphasis on writing so please include a writing portfolio or links to stories.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ”Apply online”. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Job Posting Date: May 17, 2023, 8:25:49 AM
Unposting Date: Jun 1, 2023, 11:59:00 PM
To apply for this job please visit cbc.taleo.net.