Website Bow Valley College
Copyright and Intellectual Property Officer Calgary , AB
Bow Valley College contributes to the vitality of communities and strength of the economy through innovative adult education programs and services. We equip students for successful living, lifelong learning, and employment in a global knowledge-based environment.
Why work at Bow Valley College?
Bow Valley College is made up of employees who are committed to our learners´ success, as well as each other´s. Our staff and faculty consistently say it is the people who keep them at the College, the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our students, and the incredible support they receive from their co-workers and supervisors.
We are currently accepting applications for the Copyright and Intellectual Property Officer continuous position.
Reporting to the Associate Dean, this position has as its primary functions the administration and coordination of all copyright and intellectual property services and agreements for Bow Valley College. This includes ensuring that all 3rd party materials used by the College comply with the requirements of the Canadian Copyright Act and the various licenses held by the College. The Copyright and Intellectual Property Officer ensures that all requested materials provided to learners have been copyright cleared. Training is provided to College staff about copyright and changes that may affect them as legislation and licensing agreements are modified or acquired. The position develops policies, procedures, and guidelines to aid in copyright and intellectual property compliance and the administration of all copyrighted and intellectual property materials being either 3rd party or College owned materials.
The Copyright and Intellectual Property Officer is responsible for all day-to-day operations of the office, including:
• Handling copyright requests, intellectual property agreement archiving and administration including Traditional Knowledge agreements.
• Administration of the Learning Object Repository (LOR), amending policies, guidelines and procedures.
• Maintenance of the Copyright Services and Intellectual Property pages of the College website.
• All reporting and recordkeeping for the office and as required by Academic Innovation and organizations whom which we hold copyright and intellectual property agreements.
• Consultation with staff from all departments, the College lawyer, and outside rights holders.
• Working with other departments in the College to develop licensing agreements to sell Bow Valley College curricula to other institutions and organizations. Either for a profit or cost recovery or as open access (OA) or open educational resources (OER). These licenses are designed to ensure the protection of Bow Valley College’s copyright on our materials is maintained.
• Brokering agreements review to determine that the copyright of both institutions involved are respected and to ensure that all citing statements are included.
The Bow Valley College Copyright and Intellectual Property Officer works with other Copyright and Intellectual Property Officers from other post-secondary institutions to help develop standards within post-secondary institutions for common practices that are not covered by the Canadian Copyright and Intellectual Property Acts. For example: Establishing best practices.
JOB REQUIREMENTS *
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Certificate in Intellectual Property. Library Science and Legal Assistance background could be beneficial. Courses in copyright i.e.: from World Intellectual Property Organization
• 2 years of related experience; specialized training in copyright
• An equivalent combination of directly related education and experience may be considered
• Excellent time management skills; Attention to contract details.
• Extensive knowledge of copyright laws and procedures.
• Excellent knowledge of research techniques especially related to the Internet. Desktop publishing and database skills.
• Communication skills with external contacts and internal staff members. Above average skills with Microsoft office products.
• Extensive knowledge of Canada’s copyright and intellectual property laws and legislation included proposed amendments and pending bills.
• Ability to interpret legislation and apply it to copyright and intellectual property requests.
• Extensive knowledge of various copyright and intellectual property agreements held by the College.
• Thorough knowledge of International copyright and intellectual property.
• Thorough knowledge of the differences between Canadian law and other countries legislation, especially the US.
• Ability to consult with staff from all departments of the College, determine their needs and develop licensing agreements with rights holders that meet these needs.
• Thorough knowledge of OA and OER licensing terms.
• Knowledge of Indigenous rights as they pertain to copyright.
To apply: Deltek Talent Management – Requisition Details (hrsmart.com).
This is a continuous position. Please note all successful candidates will be required to provide copies of government issued identification and proof of educational qualifications upon hire and may be required to provide an enhanced police information check.
Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
Bow Valley College is strongly committed to fostering diversity and inclusion within our community. We welcome applications from qualified candidates who would contribute to the further diversification of our employees including, but not limited to, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
Closes: September 29, 2022
Bow Valley College
Calgary , AB
To apply for this job please visit careersbowvalleycollege.hua.hrsmart.com.